The learner demonstrates understanding:
- understanding of various linguistics nodes to comprehend various texts;
- understanding of text elements to comprehend various texts;
- understanding that words are composed of different parts to know that their meaning changes depending in context;
- understanding that English language is stress timed to support comprehension;
- command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking;
- understanding of non-verbal communication to communicate with others;
- understanding of the forms and conventions of print, non-print, and digital materials to understand various viewing texts; and
- understanding of the oral standards of English in order to participate in various oral communication demands (situation, purpose and audience.
- analyzes text types to effectively understand information/ message(s);
- uses linguistic cues to appropriately construct meaning from a variety of texts for a variety of purposes;
- uses strategies to decode correctly the meaning of words in isolation and in context reads with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension;
- uses the correct function of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs in general and their functions in various discourse
- (oral and written);
- applies knowledge of non-verbal skills to respectfully give the speaker undivided attention and acknowledge the message;
- applies knowledge of the various forms and conventions of print, non-print, and digital materials to appropriately comprehend print, non-print, film and moving texts; and
- prepares for and participates effectively in a range of conversations and collaboration with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
Learning Competencies/ Objectives:
- Analyze sound devices (irony and hyperbole) in a text heard.
- Determine tone, mood, and purpose of the author.
- Infer meaning of idiomatic expressions using –roots.
- Compose clear and coherent sentences using appropriate grammatical structures: tenses of verb.
- Observe politeness at all times.
- Show tactfulness when communicating with others.
- Show openness to criticism.
- Describe different forms and conventions of film and moving pictures (direction).
- Relate an experience appropriate to the occasion.