This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
Each SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pre-tests are provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the post-test to self-check your learning. Answer keys are provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
If you have any questions in using this SLM or any difficulty in answering the tasks in this module, do not hesitate to consult your teacher or facilitator.
This module was designed and written with you in mind. It is here to help you master the nature of Animal Production. The scope of this module permits it to be used in many different learning situations. The language used recognizes the diverse vocabulary level of students. The lessons are arranged to follow the standard sequence of the course. But the order in which you read them can be changed to correspond with the textbook you are now using.
The module is divided into four lessons, namely:
- Lesson 1 – Collect Farm Wastes
- Lesson 2 – Identify and Segregate Wastes
- Lesson 3 – Treat and Process Farm Waste
- Lesson 4 – Perform Housekeeping
After going through this module, you are expected to:
1. Prepare tools and materials for collection of farm wastes.
2. Collect waste following Occupational Safety and Health Standard and waste collection requirements and plan.
3. Collect dangerous and hazardous wastes following the HAZMAT protocol.
4. Identify waste by categories according to industry standards and legislation.
5. Perform waste segregation according to organizational requirements and relevant legislation.
6. Place sorted waste into labelled container to avoid littering and prevent cross-contamination.
7. Obtain information on waste by asking authority to ensure correct identification.
8. Handle dangerous and hazardous waste according to organizational requirements and relevant legislation following OSHS procedures.
9. Process farm waste following environmental legislation and codes.
10. Apply principles of 3Rs (reduce, reuse and recycle) accordingly
11. Dispose processed farm waste according to environmental legislation and codes.
12. Display appropriate warning signs and labels in conspicuous places around the workplace.
13. Clean the area according to 5S principles.
14. Check, clean and stow away tools according to established industry procedures and following user’s manual.
15. Perform record keeping according to industry requirements.