This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
Each SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pre-tests are provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the post-test to self-check your learning. Answer keys are provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
If you have any questions in using this SLM or any difficulty in answering the tasks in this module, do not hesitate to consult your teacher or facilitator.
1. describes and analyzes the musical elements of some vocal and instrumental selections from Cordillera, Mindoro, Palawan and of the Visayas after listening;
2. explains the distinguishing characteristics of representative music from Cordillera, Mindoro, Palawan and of the Visayas in relation to its culture and geography; and
3. performs music from Cordillera, Mindoro, Palawan and of the Visayas.
This module is about the music of Cordillera (Highland of Luzon) specifically the vocal music. It is designed for you to learn the competencies and skills left behind and to cope up for the new/next lessons. The activities and discussions are aligned with the level where you can independently learn the topics and lessons you missed. I hope that you will undertake all the activity seriously and responsibly. Feel free to answer all the assessment and have fun.
Music becomes an important part of life of Cordillera people. As you go along with this module, the activities and discussions will bring you into the fascinating world of music of Cordillera particularly their vocal music, performance practice and some of their representative songs/genres like the Salidumay, the Oggayam, Hudhud and Ba-diw.
Moreover, as you finish going through this lesson, you are expected to:
1. identify the distinguishing characteristics of Cordillera vocal music that differentiate them from other regions in the Philippines;
2. explain the performance practices of Cordillera music particularly salidumay, Oggayam and Ba-diw;
3. analyze the vocal music of Cordillera by applying the knowledge of the elements of music; and
4. integrate the different characteristics of Cordillera music in the production of simple melodic lines.