This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
Each SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pre-tests are provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the post-test to self-check your learning. Answer keys are provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
If you have any questions in using this SLM or any difficulty in answering the tasks in this module, do not hesitate to consult your teacher or facilitator.
1. describes the musical elements of some vocal and instrumental selections from Cordillera, Mindoro, Palawan and of the Visayas after listening;
2. discover ways of producing sounds on a variety of sources similar to instruments being studied;
3. improvises simple rhythmic/melodic accompaniments to selected music from the Cordillera, Mindoro, Palawan and of the Visayas; and
4. performs music from Cordillera, Mindoro, Palawan, and of the Visayas with accompaniment.
This module will open your awareness about the instrumental music of Cordillera, its function and distinct characteristic. You will also discover how the Cordilleras express their feelings towards each other and the environment, their history, and their supernatural beliefs through the medium of the musical instruments. A variety of activities and performances such as improvisation and creations of rhythmic pattern and the like will be provided to stimulate your creativity and resourcefulness. You will also analyze and evaluate performances which will in turn lead you to a greater understanding of the culture and traditions of Cordillera people. It is expected therefore that you will undertake all the activity seriously and responsibly. Have fun and enjoy your journey.
In this module, you will travel to the fascinating world of instrumental music of Cordillera people. You will be amazed as to how their musical instruments reflect their way of life and their relationship to nature. Through this lesson, you will also discover how the Cordilleras express their feelings towards each other and the environment, their history, and their supernatural beliefs through the medium of the voice and/or musical instruments.
Moreover, at the end of this lesson, you are expected to:
1. distinguish the distinct characteristics of Cordillera Instrumental music specifically the gangsa ensemble and the Bamboo solo/ensemble;
2. classify the musical instruments of Cordillera using the Hornbostel-Sachs classification;
3. analyze the elements of music that is uniquely embodied in Cordillera Instrumental Music;
4. improvise percussion instruments using materials from the environment; and
5. create a rhythmic pattern following the style of Cordilleran instrumental music.