This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
Each SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pre-tests are provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the post-test to self-check your learning. Answer keys are provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
1. identifies the musical characteristics of representative music selections from Mindanao after listening;
2. analyzes the musical elements of some Mindanao vocal and instrumental music;
3. explains the distinguishing characteristics of representative music selections of Mindanao in relation to its culture and geography;
4. evaluates music selections and music performances applying knowledge of musical elements and style;
5. explores ways of producing sounds on a variety of sources that is similar to the instruments being studied;
6. improvises simple rhythmic/melodic accompaniments to selected music from Mindanao;
7. performs instruments/improvised instruments from Mindanao, alone and/ or with others;
8. provides accompaniment to selected music of Mindanao; and
9. creates appropriate movements or gestures to accompany the music.
This module introduces you to Islamic bamboo ensemble of Mindanao including its functions and distinct characteristics. You will discover how the performers express their feelings towards each other and how the environment, their history, and their supernatural beliefs through the medium of instrumental music are related to their way of living. A variety of activities and performances such as improvisation and creations of simple rhythmic pattern and the like, will be provided to stimulate your creativity and resourcefulness. You will also analyze and evaluate performances which will in turn, lead you to a greater understanding of the culture and traditions of Islamic people of Mindanao. It is expected therefore that you will take/do all the activities seriously and responsibly. Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Music is an important part of the culture and celebrations of Islamic people in Mindanao. They carefully observe various rituals and practices and celebrate great festivals like the end of Ramadan, Muhammad’s birthday, his ascension to heaven, and Muslim New Year (first day of the month of Muharram).
Moreover, as you finish going through this lesson, you are expected to:
1. determine the musical instruments and characteristics of Mindanao’s Islamic bamboo ensemble in relation to its cultural and geographical influences.
2. assess the selected musical performances of Mindanao’s Islamic bamboo ensemble by applying knowledge of musical elements.
3. make an improvised bamboo instrument and perform rhythmic accompaniment to selected music of Mindanao’s Islamic bamboo ensemble.