This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
Each SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pre-tests are provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the post-test to self-check your learning. Answer keys are provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
1. evaluates music selections and music performances applying knowledge of musical elements and style.
2. analyzes examples of Philippine music from Mindanao and describes how the musical elements are used.
3. Discovers ways of producing sounds on a variety of sources that is similar to the instruments being studied.
4. improvises simple rhythmic/melodic accompaniments to selected music from Mindanao.
5. performs music from Mindanao, with own accompaniment.
In the previous module, you have learned about the Islamic music of Mindanao particularly the bamboo ensemble. You were taught with how the sounds were produced by the different bamboo instruments. Apart from that, you were also given a chance to make your own bamboo instrument which you really enjoyed.
This module is a continuation of Islamic instrumental music, but only this time, solo instruments will be given much emphasis.
In music, solo is simply a piece or section of a piece played or sung featuring a single performer, who may be performing completely alone. Through this module, take a few moments to engage in different activities that will provide you with a lot of learnings and eventually will help you grapple with the difference between an ensemble and a solo instrument.
At this point, here is an activity to refresh your memory about the bamboo ensemble discussed in the previous module. In that way, it would be easier for you to identify its difference from the solo instruments but of the same type of music from Mindanao.
In this module, you will also discover the uniqueness these instruments will be offering you. This module will unleash your knowledge about the elements of music and your creativity in doing the activities provided for you. This time you are about to know and experience solo instruments of Mindanao.
In this module, you will be able to:
1. Determine the musical instruments and characteristics of Mindanao’s solo instruments in relation to its cultural and geographical influences;
2. Assess the selected musical performances of Mindanao’s solo instruments applying knowledge of musical elements; and
3. Make an improvised instrument and perform rhythmic accompaniments to selected music of Mindanao’s solo instruments.