The waste that we generate per day is more than what landfills can accommodate. This is why some wastes are left uncollected in different places. Uncollected waste causes land, water, and air pollution; and any form of pollution is harmful to all organisms. Therefore, we should practice 5Rs to manage waste in the environment and help make our surroundings clean and tidy.
One of these 5Rs is recycling which involves collecting and processing materials that would be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products with different use or purpose from its original form. Recycling can be beneficial to our community and to the environment.
Why should we recycle? What benefits do we get from recycling?
Recycling reduces the waste sent to designated dumping areas or landfills. It results in the conservation of our natural resources such as lumber, water, and other minerals. It also prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new materials.
After going through this module, you will design a product out of local and recyclable materials to make useful products by understanding the waste management practices 5Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair or Recover.
The module is divided into three lessons namely:
• Lesson 1: How Can We Manage Our Waste: The 5Rs Technique
• Lesson 2: Importance of Practicing the 5Rs
• Lesson 3: Designing a Product Out of Local and Recyclable Materials
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
• Describe how people manage their waste through the 5Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair or Recover
• Recognize the importance of reduce, reuse, recycle, repair, or recover in waste management
• Design products out of recyclable solid or liquid materials to make useful productsScience5_Q1_Mod3_DesigningRecyclableMaterialIntoUsefulProducts_v2