Everything around us is matter – the soil, water, and air.
Matter has different properties that make it distinct from one another. Some types have properties that make them good materials for producing useful products. Other types have properties that make them harmful.
There are different materials found at home. These are important because they are used in our daily activities such as cooking, cleaning our houses, treating ailments, maintaining personal hygiene, and many more. It is important to know their different properties so that we can identify whether a certain material is harmful or useful.
This module focuses on the different properties of matter that can be classified as useful or harmful. This also gives the importance of recognizing the physical and chemical properties of matter in determining the usability of a certain material. Moreover, it emphasizes the importance of product labels in identifying useful and harmful materials.
The module is divided into two lessons, namely:
• Lesson 1: Recognizing Useful and Harmful Materials
• Lesson 2: Importance of Labels in Identifying Useful and Harmful Materials
At the end of the module, you will be able to:
• identify the different properties of matter that can help you determine whether it is harmful or useful;
• enumerate useful and harmful materials at home and in school; and
• explain the importance of labels in identifying useful and harmful materials
Note: Use a separate sheet for your answers in all the activities in this moduleScience5_Q1_Mod1_UsefulAndHarmfulMaterials_v2