In the previous module, you have learned about the definition of research, its purpose, its types, and its significance. You have also learned how to write a rationale, research questions, scope and limitation, and significance of the study.
In this lesson, you will learn how to write literature review which is significant in establishing the gaps and rationale in the research. By doing this, you need time to understand the step- by – step procedure in writing literature review. Read and reread the steps given and see the examples that will guide you in this endeavor.
Reviewing the literature requires the ability to juggle multiple tasks, from finding and evaluating relevant material to synthesizing information from various sources, from critical thinking to paraphrasing, evaluating, and citation skills (Budgen & Brereton, 2006).
Writing review of related literature does not only mean for literature only. It also includes the related research studies conducted not only internationally but also locally. It is in this area where knowledge, patience, and perseverance of the skills of students to be developed are necessary to become holistic individuals. In this module the skills to be developed include analysis, evaluative, applicative, and creative skills including among others the ordering, paraphrasing and summarizing skills.
There are some personal tips which will be given to you in this lesson which are coming from the personal experience of the writers being research teachers and research consultants. There are also some links, websites, books, and other references being cited which will be of great help for you in writing your related literature review. So, relax and enjoy in your journey of being a student-researcher.
In this module, you will be able to do the following:
- Learning Competencies
a. Select relevant literature.
b. Cite related literature using standard style (APA, MLA, or Chicago Manual of Style).
c. Synthesize information from relevant literature.
d. Write coherent review of literature.
e. Follow ethical standards in writing related literature.
f. Present written review of literature.
- How to learn from this module?
1. Read the instructions in the module comprehensibly. Reread the instructions if you feel you are confused and understand them fully.
2. Follow the directions as you read the materials.
3. Answer all the questions asked in this module. There are tips included in this module on how to answer the questions. Furthermore, there are key answers that are being included in this module. Just be honest by following the procedure, process and techniques in writing review of literature and studies.
4. In order to complete this module, you need to equip yourself with knowledge and skills for you to become holistic individuals. These skills include analyzing, evaluating, applying, creating. You also need the skills in ordering, paraphrasing and summarizing skills.
5. Take your time to study and learn. Happy learning!