This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
The SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pretest is provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the posttest to self-check your learning. Answer Key is provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
If you have any questions in using this SLM or any difficulty in answering the tasks in this module, do not hesitate to consult your teacher or facilitator.
This module provides you the foundation of Afro-Latin American and Popular Music. In your journey through the discussions and different tasks, you are expected to:
1. describe the historical and cultural background of Afro-Latin American and popular music;
- describe the historical and cultural background of popular music and Philippine popular music.
2. analyze musical characteristics of Afro-Latin American and popular music through listening activities;
- analyze musical characteristics popular music and Philippine popular music through listening activities.
3. explore ways of creating sounds on a variety of sources suitable to chosen vocal and instrumental selections; and
4. perform selections of Afro-Latin Americans and popular music in appropriate pitch, rhythm, style and expression.
- perform selections of popular and Philippine popular music in appropriate pitch, rhythm, style and expression.
The module is divided into 3 lessons, namely:
- Lesson 3 – Jazz
- Lesson 4 – Popular Music
- Lesson 5 – Philippine Popular Music