This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
Each SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pre-tests are provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the post-test to self-check your learning. Answer keys are provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
1. identifies the musical characteristics of representative music selections from Mindanao after listening;
2. analyzes the musical elements of some Mindanao vocal and instrumental music;
3. Identifies the musical instrument and other sound sources of representative music selections from Mindanao;
4. improvises simple rhythmic/melodic accompaniments to selected music from Mindanao;
5. evaluates music selections and music performances applying knowledge of musical elements and style;
6. Perform music from Mindanao with own accompaniment;
7. Discover ways of producing sounds on a variety of sources that is similar to the instruments being studied.
Last time, we had immersed ourselves in the wonderful culture of Lumad Music from Zamboanga. We learned about their rich non-religious musical culture and how geography and culture surpassed ethnical boundaries. Today, we will learn about the distinct musical styles of the Tausug of Sulu – their cultural and religious history as well as both their vocal (Lugu) and instrumental (Paggabang) musical forms.
By the end of this module, you should be able to:
1. Identify the characteristics of music of Tausug Music through listening different samples of Vocal and Instrumental Tausug music.
2. Create a comparative analysis of Tausug Music in comparison with those from other tribes in Mindanao by evaluating sample music from both regions in terms of elements, characteristics, as well as the effects of culture and geography to the music.
3. Sing melodic sequences in line with the characteristic of Tausug Music.
4. Imitate sounds produced by Tausug musical instruments using everyday objects.