This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
Each SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pre-tests are provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the post-test to self-check your learning. Answer keys are provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
If you have any questions in using this SLM or any difficulty in answering the tasks in this module, do not hesitate to consult your teacher or facilitator.
This module was designed and written with you in mind. It is here to help you master subtraction of integers. The scope of this module permits it to be used in many different learning situations. The language used recognizes your diverse vocabulary level. The lessons are arranged to follow the standard sequence of the course. But the order in which you read them can be changed to correspond with the textbook you are now using.
The module is divided into two lessons, namely:
- Lesson 1 – Subtracting Integers with Like Signs
- Lesson 2 – Subtracting Integers with Unlike Signs
- Lesson 3 – Solving Routine and Non-Routine Problems Involving Subtraction of Integers
After going through this module, you are expected to:
1. describe and interpret subtraction of integers using materials such as algebra tiles, counters, chips, and cards;
2. perform subtraction of integers; and
3. solve routine and non-routine problems involving subtraction of integers using appropriate strategies and tools.