This Self-Learning Module (SLM) is prepared so that you, our dear learners, can continue your studies and learn while at home. Activities, questions, directions, exercises, and discussions are carefully stated for you to understand each lesson.
Each SLM is composed of different parts. Each part shall guide you step-by-step as you discover and understand the lesson prepared for you.
Pre-tests are provided to measure your prior knowledge on lessons in each SLM. This will tell you if you need to proceed on completing this module or if you need to ask your facilitator or your teacher’s assistance for better understanding of the lesson. At the end of each module, you need to answer the post-test to self-check your learning. Answer keys are provided for each activity and test. We trust that you will be honest in using these.
Please use this module with care. Do not put unnecessary marks on any part of this SLM. Use a separate sheet of paper in answering the exercises and tests. And read the instructions carefully before performing each task.
If you have any questions in using this SLM or any difficulty in answering the tasks in this module, do not hesitate to consult your teacher or facilitator.
This module was designed and written with you in mind. It is here to help you master the lessons on solving percent problems such as percent of increase or decrease (discounts, original price, rate of discount, sale price, marked-up price), commission, sales tax, and simple interest. The scope of this module permits it to be used in many different learning situations. The language used recognizes your diverse vocabulary level as student. The lessons are arranged to follow the standard sequence of the course. But the order in which you read them can be changed to correspond with the textbook you are now using.
The module is divided into three lessons, namely:
- Lesson 1 – Solving Percent Problems Involving Percent of Increase or Decrease
- Lesson 2 – Solving Percent Problems Involving Markups and Discounts
- Lesson 3 – Solving Percent Problems Involving Commission, Sales Tax, and Simple Interest
After going through this module, you are expected to solve problems involving percent which can be used in real-life situations, specifically to:
1. identify and analyze the elements of problems or situations involving percent and understand the process in solving each component;
2. visualize problems about percent using illustration to show better understanding in the given situation; and,
3. solve different problems involving percent such as change of percent, markup, discount, commission, sales tax, and simple interest.