Welcome to the Session Guides of this Module entitled Why Do I Need to Believe in Science? under Learning Strand 2 Scientific and Critical Thinking Skills of the ALS K to 12 Basic Education Curriculum (BEC).
This module was collaboratively designed, developed, and reviewed by select DepEd field officials and teachers from formal school and ALS, and private institutions to assist,in helping the ALS learners meet the standards set by the ALS K to 12 Basic Education Curriculum (BEC) while overcoming their personal, social, and economic
constraints in attending ALS learning interventions.
This learning resource hopes to engage the learners in guided and independent learning activities at their own pace and time. Furthermore, this also aims to help learners acquire the needed 21st century skills while taking into consideration their needs and circumstances.
As an ALS Teacher/Instructional Manager/Learning Facilitator, you are expected to orient the learners on how to use this module. You also need to keep track of the learners’ progress while allowing them to managentheir learning. Moreover, you are expected to encourage and assist the learners as they do the tasks included in the module.
For us to be able to search for information and resources and communicate with others in our everyday lives, we need a digital system network. This includes internet connection.
This module will discuss three (3) lessons, namely:
Session Guide No.1
- Lesson 1 – Internet Connections
1. Describe the different ways to access the internet: dial-up (analog), DSL, cable, wireless, satellite, cellular.
2. Make use of the World Wide Web (www) to search for information.
3. Browse the world wide web using different types of internet connections/internet service providers: DSL, Wireless Broadband, WiFi, Ethernet.
Session Guide No.2
- Lesson 2 – Search Engines
1. Use the different search engines in researching a topic: Yahoo, Google, MSN, Ask.com, AOL, Bing.
2. Explain how to bookmark a website.
3. Demonstrate the process of downloading and uploading files using
websites: download files from websites, upload files from websites.
Session Guide No.3
- Lesson 3 – Communication Tools & Educational Resources
1. Create web pages using web-development software.
2. Publish web pages on the world-wide web.
3. Collaborate with other people or group of people using different user-generated content: group sites (e.g., Yahoo groups, Google groups), blogs, discussion forums, social networking sites (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
4. Make use of communication tools and educational resources in the internet for the following purposes;
Communication: Email, Chat, Discussion forums, Group sites (e-groups, mailing lists), Social networking sites (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
Educational: blogs, wikis, online test/quiz, online survey, e-books/online books.